} -->

Monday 29 April 2013

Grapefruit, Sanguine Orange & Almond Cupcakes - Fat Free

Makes 12
Preparation time - 10 min
Cooking time - 25min


I had never thought of using grapefruits to make cupcakes but somehow this evening the 2 grapefruits I just got from the store combined with a sudden urge to eat cupcakes inspired me! Often I find cupcakes can be too sickly and rich, the grapefruit and sanguine orange make these deliciously tangy and light, and they're fat free, double win :)

NB - Please forgive the poor quality of photos, I had to take these with the webcam on my computer, trying to balance my laptop over the cupcakes.. not an easy task. Believe me, these taste a million times better than they look on the photos!

Ingredients

Wet ingredients
3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used soya milk)
Juice of 1 large sanguine orange
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup of vanilla soy yogurt (as oil/margarine replacement)
1/2 tsp vanilla
Juice of 3/4 a grapefruit

Dry ingredients
1 & 1/3 cup whole wheat flour flour
1/3 cup almond flour (optional)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt



Icing ingredients 
1-2 cups icing sugar (keep adding until thick)
1 tsp vanilla
Juice of 1/4 grapefruit
1/2 cup of veggie shortening
1/4 cup of non-dairy milk


Directions
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. In a medium sized bowl combine all the wet ingredients. In a larger bowl mix all the dry ingredients and then add the wet mix to the dry mix, combine until smooth.
Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake holders, sprinkle some brown sugar over each cupcake and place in the oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
To make the icing beat all the icing ingredients together until thick. Spoon onto the cupcakes once they have cooled and add some almond slivers on top for presentation. I didn't have any thickener to hand so the icing stayed runny and soaked straight into the cupcakes, they didn't look as pretty as they would with proper icing but tasted just as delicious!


2 comments:

  1. I really like grapefruits, but would never have thought to use them to make baked goods. Well done! Sounds deliciously intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie, I know right, neither had I! But they were delicious, let me know what you think if you try them out :)

    ReplyDelete